What to do if your iPhone or iPad’s home button doesn’t work. One solution is to replace the button, which would take apart your device.
It’s not easy to do, and you shouldn’t try to do it yourself if you’ve never done anything like that before or if your device is still under warranty. We also have some other more straightforward but still practical ideas to share.
What To Do If The Home Button Is Not Working On Your iPhone Or IPad
- Make sure to take off any cases or screen guards.
- Clean the area around the buttons.
- Think about restoring the firmware on your iPhone or iPad through iTunes or Apple Music.
Solution No.1: Recalibrate the home button
This is most likely the quickest and most straightforward solution. What you ought to do is as follows:
- Hold the power button down.
- When “Slide to power off” appears on the screen of your iPad or iPhone, let go of the power button and hold down the home button.
- Hold the home button down until the home screen comes up.
Solution No.2: Clean the home button
One of the main reasons why the home button won’t work is because it’s covered in dirt, dust, or other debris. In this case, you should clean the button.
To clean the button, use rubbing alcohol or wipes of 70% isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swab. Also, you could put a drop or two on your finger, rub the button with your finger, and then push the button around its edges.
Solution No.3: Portrait view/landscape view
This answer helped a lot of people. Follow these steps:
- Press and hold the home button when your iPad or iPhone is in portrait mode.
- Hold the button down to put the device in landscape mode.
- Switch back to the portrait view on your device.
- While doing this, ensure that your device’s screen rotates.
- Stop pressing the home button.
Solution No.4: 5-finger gesture
If none of the other fixes worked to fix the home button, try this:
iPads running iOS 12-iOS 10:
- Settings > General > Multitasking and Dock
- Turn on Gestures.
- To get back to the Home screen, put five fingers on the screen and pinch them all together.
- Go to Settings > Home Screen & Dock in the iPadOS. Tap the Gestures switch to turn on or off gestures.
Solution No.5: Assistive touch
If you don’t like the 5-finger gesture solution, you can make the Home button appear on the screen. Here’s how that can be done:
- Click on Settings.
- Click on “Accessibility”.
- Touch Tap
- Tap Assistive touch and make sure it’s on.
- Select the icon that is located in the lower right-hand corner of the screen.
- Choose Home
- If you want to move it, tap and hold the icon, then drag it to where you want it.